Waste Wise Program - Sustainability Specialist
The Minnesota Chamber of Commerce is a statewide advocacy organization representing 2,300 businesses and over 500,000 employees across Minnesota. We advocate on a broad array of business issues that affect businesses’ bottom line. Advocacy includes legislative representation at the state capitol, as well as individual business assistance through our programs. Events and sponsorship programming support our advocacy and membership representation and service.
Waste Wise and Energy Smart are programs of the Minnesota Chamber of Commerce. The programs work in close partnership with the Minnesota Waste Wise Foundation (a 501(c)3 non-profit affiliate of the Chamber) to promote environmentally sustainable practices to help businesses save money through waste reduction, resource conservation and energy efficiency.
The Waste Wise Program Sustainability Specialist is responsible for coordinating and conducting new business outreach and research, conducting on-site waste consultations, providing technical assistance and service follow-up, and maintaining program database. This position is also responsible for providing targeted program services to members of the Minnesota Chamber of Commerce.
- Engage the Minnesota business community through in-person and other direct contact networking
- Schedule site visits for the Waste Wise program through phone calls, e-mails, and on-site door knocking
- Effectively communicate waste reduction, sustainability, energy conservation opportunities
- Perform on-site consultations to identify and encourage implementation of waste reduction, recycling, and organics diversion opportunities
- Conduct follow-up in order to drive businesses to complete waste reduction, reuse and recycling projects
- Maintain accurate records of business participation and promptly update database with program results
- Conduct waste reduction, reuse, and recycling research as needed
- Carry out other tasks as assigned by the Waste Wise Program Manager and Program Director
- 1 to 3 years recent experience in business environmental sustainability consulting and business development
- Bachelor’s degree in related field required
- Comprehensive knowledge of waste reduction and business environmental sustainability issues
- Strong inter-personal skills and the ability to create and maintain positive working relationships with employees, owners of small to large businesses, waste hauler representatives, and others
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Exceptionally strong data management, research, organization skills
- Computer proficiency including Microsoft Office Suite and Adobe desktop publishing software
- Able to multi-task and manage several projects simultaneously
- Able to think outside of the box and create opportunities out of challenges
- Vehicle required for travel, will be reimbursed for mileage at the federal rate
This is a full-time position with benefits and involves travel within Minnesota. The position reports to the Program Manager for Minnesota Waste Wise at the Minnesota Chamber of Commerce. Interested candidates should send their cover letter and resume by Monday, November 25, 2019. Email submissions with attachments are preferred. Please send to Katie Klein, email@example.com.