Minnesota Waste Wise Foundation Scholarship
Minnesota Waste Wise Foundation (MWWF) recognizes that a strong, responsible, and sustainable future requires a knowledgeable workforce reflective of our society at large. This scholarship aims to promote diversity by assisting students interested in a career in environmental and/or sustainability fields.
Up to two recipients will be awarded a scholarship (up to $5,000 each) per academic year. One rising junior will be accepted per year with the opportunity to receive the scholarship again in their senior year (up to $10,000 over a 2-year period).
Read and follow the instructions carefully prior to submitting your application. All eligible recipients will be notified on the first Monday in April.
To be eligible, students must:
- Bring the perspectives or experiences of an underrepresented group (including, but not limited to BIPOC populations, women, LGBTQ+, and low-income)
- Be currently enrolled in a degree program in environmental studies, natural sciences, or other related areas of study
- Be a rising Junior, meaning starting junior year in the fall of 2024
- Attend a school located in Minnesota or be a resident of Minnesota
- Be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen
- Not be related to any of the directors, officers, or selection committee members of MWWF
Apply by February 28th, 2024
- All applicants are required to:
- Complete the Scholarship Application and submit it by February 28th, 2024
- Provide all required documents, including:
- Signed letter of recommendation from a non-relative who has a science/natural science background and is familiar with your goals and aptitude
- A 300-500 word typed essay describing how your college studies relate to your career goals in an environmental field.
Applicants may be contacted by the Scholarship Selection Committee to conduct an in-person or remote interview before any award decision is made.
The award is provided in the fall semester of each academic year. Past recipients are eligible to re-apply for additional school years. The scholarship will be paid to the applicant’s school once a tuition bill is presented to MWWF.
The Scholarship Selection Committee will be appointed by the Board of Directors of MWWF. The Scholarship Selection Committee will meet on an as needed basis and shall have the sole authority to select award recipients. Neither the Board of Directors of MWWF nor the Scholarship Selection Committee are required to award any scholarships if applications are found insufficient or for any other reason.
Congrats to our 2023 recipient
Kiersten Wille, studying Environmental Science, Policy and Management
Any and all proceeds directed by Minnesota Waste Wise Foundation are restricted to the sole and intended purpose of managing and implementing Waste Wise and Energy Smart, two programs of the Minnesota Chamber of Commerce.