2021 Key Issues: Environment
Our members support sensible regulations that will allow Minnesota to maintain a clean environment and healthy business climate while fostering economic change and growth statewide.
Minnesota is blessed with unique natural resources, and Minnesota businesses are reducing their environmental impact, many with voluntary environmental sustainability plans that go farther and faster than state mandates or goals. While protection of natural resources is critical, Minnesota’s system of environmental permitting is a factor in businesses’ decision to expand into or throughout the state. Legislators must consider both the impact of the permitting process and cost of running a business when they make critical decisions.
The Chamber’s priorities for the 2021 session include:
- Increase efficiency and streamline the environmental review and permitting process. Ensure fair and reasonable regulation of the mining industry.
- Abide by federal statute or rule to avoid state by state patchwork of requirements.
- Support non-regulatory approaches to waste management and product stewardship.
- Promote and educate the public on the 3Rs: Reduce, reuse and recycle.
- Oppose chemical bans and regulatory approaches that are duplicative of federal rules and other state programs.
- Support voluntary initiatives that creates a fair and consistent statewide marketplace and oppose local packaging, regulations, product take back programs, bans and fees.
Our work gets results
- Businesses saved $2,000 in energy costs per business taking advantage of Energy Smart program.
- Businesses saved $4,700 in average financial compensation for each business taking advantage of the Chamber’s Waste Wise program.
Make your voice heard